Have some goals.
Our private lessons are based on your self-directed goals, and my assessment of the next step to get you there. This can take one of many forms, including:
- Learning by Ear
- Bespoke Arrangements
- Recommended Repertoire & Method Books from my Library
It’s important that you share your goals on your instrument. Musical goals should include skills like:
- Memorizing complete songs
- Literacy (reading & writing music notation & tablature)
- Fretboard logic (pitch locations, scales, arpeggios & chord shapes)
- Musical Vernacular (language of styles like Blues, Jazz, Country, etc.)
- Improvisation (instant composition)
- Ear training (playing what you hear & hearing what you play)
- Music Theory (structure & logic behind sounds that move you)
- Accompaniment (sing & play melody/backup)
- Composition (culmination of musical expression)
It’s also helpful to share your deeper motivations, like:
- Fun & Self-Expression
- Acquiring Knowledge & Skills
- Joining A Community
Daily practice is a necessity.
You should practice no less than 60m/day, in addition to our sessions together. Private lessons are a total of 2-4 hours of focused musical refinement each month. If you create this time investment on a daily basis, you should see noticeable advancements in your technique, memorization, and ability to play by ear after 3-6 consecutive months.
The focused daily habits you create now, will reap exponential rewards the longer you practice them.
48hr Cancellation Policy
I keep the trains running on time by enforcing a firm 48-hour cancellation policy. I do this as much for you as for me. The more predictable your practice schedule is, the more productive our time together will be. You have until 48-hours before we are scheduled to meet to forfeit your paid lesson time, or reschedule it.
A phone-free zone.
- Chris Conly Guitar Studio is a phone/text-free zone.
- If it’s an emergency, you can step outside to make/take a call at the expense of your time, but during private lessons phones should be silent, or turned off.
You’re paying for time – leave your baggage behind.
- No need to bring more than your instrument, notebook/folder & pencil, and your full attention.
- I provide spring water bottles free of charge, so no need for outside food or beverages.
- Make the most of your time – you’re paying for my expertise and advice – so don’t hesitate to ask questions, take notes, or request additional resources.
Early is on time.
- Arrive 5 minutes early. Trains & parking can be a drag, so aim to be early, and you can make the most of our time together.
- If I’m running over with a previous student, I will be sure to make up your time at the end of our lesson together.
- If do think you’ll be arriving more than 5 minutes late, make sure to call or text me: (347) 855-6564. If I haven’t heard anything from you after 15 minutes, and have to wait or worry, I will give the time to other students.
Be prepared to practice your craft.
- Tune your instrument before arriving and it will save you 5 minutes.
- The studio provides free, hi-speed wi-fi.
- Restrooms are located in the back. No showers.
Manage your schedule.
- After first booking your own Free 30m Intro Lesson online, you’ll understand how scheduling works.
- At the end of the last lesson of each month, we will schedule your lessons for the coming month in person. You’ll immediately receive a confirmation email with all the details, and a link to reschedule more than 48hrs in advance.
Save your seat with your monthly tuition subscription.
- Full time teachers, activists and senior citizens over 65 years of age qualify a 15% discount off the regular monthly tuition subscription price.
- All tuition payments are non-refundable, non-transferrable and non-exchangeable. No exceptions.
- Your payment info is securely stored by a 3rd party to facilitate your monthly tuition subscription.
- Your credit card on file will be charged for the coming month, on the 22nd of the current month.
- If your card is declined, I cannot hold time for you, and will give it to the next student in line.
- Tuition is paid in advance to reserve your seat. Otherwise the time is given to the next student in line.
- Paid-in-full, monthly tuition may not be placed on hold.
- Monthly tuition subscriptions can be cancelled with a minimum of 30 days notice by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. All subscriptions have a minimum term of 3 months. Memberships are not prorated and may not be cancelled prior to 3 month introductory term for any reason.
- Monthly tuition subscriptions can be placed on hold with a minimum of 30 days notice. Subscriptions may be placed on hold for travel or medical condition one time per six month period. A subscription may not be on hold for more than 30 days in any calendar year. Subscription holds must be requested via email sent to email@example.com. Subscriptions may not be placed on hold during the initial 6 month period.
If you have any questions, send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org.